I wish I could say that I have had a moment to update everyone and post more photos, but I have not had 5 minutes to do so! Also, I am so sorry that I have not been able to return a single phone call or email yet. Please know that we are adjusting to this new life and will return calls as soon as humanly possible.
Elizabeth is doing well. After 2 days in the hospital they said she had jaundice, so she had a BiliBed while we there there for about a day and a half. We were discharged from the hospital Thursday evening and had to see the pediatrician first thing Friday morning. (her first outing!) Her levels were higher, so they ordered a Bili Light to come to our house and she has to be on it for 12-16 hours a day, which makes things very difficult as it's an awkward contraption. We go back to the pediatrician on Monday morning to see if her levels are normal enough so she can come off of it. (Btw, her first trip to the doctor she maintained her weight from the day before which was great news! She's down about 9 oz., so she is about 6 lb 14.5 oz right now - tiny! She hated having her blood drawn and cried her poor little head off.)
Ken and I are prety exhausted still, taking turns staying up with Elizabeth and trying to get 1, 2 3 hours of sleep here and there. I have trouble turning things off in my head, so I still have not gotten much sleep, but enough to finally function. The first night home was awful and I crashed. Ken was truly my hero and stayed up with the baby the entire night! I have the most amazing husband.
Feedings are still a bit challenging, but I think we are moving back into the right direction. We've been supplementing with formula with a bottle (not what I planned) and are finally giving her half formula and half breastmilk, hoping to ween her completely off formula soon. I never knew how difficult this all was going to be!
I promise to post photos tomorrow!
2 comments:
Hang in there girl... In a couple of weeks you will have it all down to a routine and you will both be getting a little more sleep. Everything will become second nature. Diapers and dressing the baby will be faster and you will start feeling a little better yourself too! It is a big adjustment but, it gets a lot easier... so, hang in there!!
Hey Katie! Congratulations! I can totally relate to your blog entry as I can remember those first few weeks home with my oldest and he is now 7. It's so hard to ever know what to expect until the baby is here - and then you're just trying to figure it all out. Your sweet baby is so loved and that's what matters. You will start to get the hang of it all soon and then it will get a lot easier. I can say this and my first little guy cried for the first four months straight! Don't stress about the feedings. My best advice (if you're interested) is to feed whenever she wants - on demand - and your milk will learn to adjust to her needs very quickly. I've done it three times and tried several strategies - and this is what really seemed to work. You can work on schedules after a month or two once your bodies adjust to one another. Hope that helps. I have other strategies too - if interested - just email me anytime. I don't want to give too much unsolicited advice :) Hang in there and congratulations once again!! Enjoy!
Post a Comment