Tuesday, December 9, 2008

5 Shots, 2 Days

So, the last 2 days were not so fun for me. I had to get 5 shots in 2 days (2 of which were unnecessary!) and I was just completely wiped that I even napped today.

My blood type was found to be Rh negative, so my doctor sent me to Holy Cross Hospital to have them test for antibodies. If positive, they would have to give me a shot of Rhogam. (Basically, my blood type is more rare, so if our baby has Rh+ blood there could be a potential problem where my body would start fighting off "the foreign object" if our blood mixed. That's the jist of it.) Anyway, when I got to Holy Cross on Monday, they said they don't take my insurance and said I had to go to Quest Labs to get it done. So, I went there and after waiting an hour for them to call me, the guy looked at me and said he had no idea what this was for. He called his office support and they said they could take the blood and send the results to my doctor, but they could not administer a shot. So, I waited over an hour to get them to draw my blood (which they had issues with and had to do twice) and then called my doctor on my way home. They were surprised and said they would call my insurance. A few hours later, they called me and said that Holy Cross DOES take my insurance and for me to go back!

So, this morning I went back to Holy Cross, but first I had to go take my glocose test! An icky drink. Another shot. I had not eaten and was feeling a little woosy after having to wait, so I got a small bite to eat and headed to Holy Cross again. The line was sooooo long just to check in and I waited about 20 minutes just for them to look at me, and once again... you guessed it... "We don't take your insurance!" I explained to them what my doctor's office said and I immediately got on the phone with them. The lady was not budging, but only because she didn't want me to have to pay out-of-pocket, so once again my doctor called me insurance company and faxed a referral! Can I tell you how much I HATE HMO'S????? If I had not persisted and if my doctor's office had not called several times to Humana, I would have ended up PAYING for EVERYTHING. It's so ridiculous to have to jump through so many hoops just to get some quality care. *sigh* So, I was there for about 2.5 hours waiting.

My blood did indeed come back positive (meaning Rh-) and I went upstairs in the hospital and got hooked up to some monitors and they gave me the shot of Rhogam. She asked, "So, I can either give this to you in your arm or your butt." My response? "The arm is just FINE." Haha. They monitor you to make sure you don't have a bad reaction. I was fine and they sent me away and reminded me that I will have to get another shot just after I deliver.

Good times!

No comments: